Friday, April 26, 2013

Heat Embossed Edges

Thanks for joining me today for this weeks Papertrey Ink Design Team Tip!

I’ve been having fun exploring a technique I have recently discovered.  It all began by adding a touch of color using ink pads applied directly to the edges of white cardstock.  Drawing inspiration from this previous project...
This then transformed into using a watermark ink pad/pen and embossing powder to coat edges.  
It adds such unique touch to a project check it out...
After stamping the sentiment onto the cardstock strip I heat set a colorful border.  Here's How: Using gentle pressure, rub/drag the edge of cardstock across the top of a Versamark ink pad.  Holding the paper at a slight angle and draging for a thick build up (I'd say at about a 45 degree angle dragging towards yourself).  Coat with embossing powder and heat set.  
It adds a nice colorful and glossy touch.  Just A Note:  The twine was attached into place using a Tiny Attacher and then tied into a bow.
The easiest way to apply this technique is using the ink pad, but to take it up another notch, I used my handy dandy Embossing pen.  Same idea as the ink pad, giving you a sticky surface to work with, but in a free hand pen form.
Here's How:  After die cutting the desired shape (here I've used a Bountiful Banners die cut) I simply traced along the edge with the pen, covered in embossing powered and then heat set.  I love how it helps this simple white banner to pop!  Here's A Tip: I found it easiest to emboss one side of the banner at a time, this way I had a place to hold onto.
For this last card I pulled out my Chevron Stripes Border die and the embossing pen.  Here's A Tip:  When covering a larger/longer surface, work with one small area at a time, working your way gradually to the end.  This ensure the watermark ink will remain sticky enough.
Take a closer look.  Here's A Tip:  To create a thicker build up of embossing powder... immediately after using the heating tool while the powder is still hot, dip the freshly embossed edge back into your embossing powder and heat set again.  Repeat if necessary.

That's it from me today.  I hope you'll give this look a go.  Have fun!

Thanks for stopping by.

Maile




Thank You Card...



Blooming Hello There Card...

Chevron Hello There Card...

35 comments:

  1. Super fun technique...it adds such a nice pop of color!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference. Thanks, Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really super cute! I love this idea and love the look. Your cards are beautiful!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the new embossing powder colors will give this a fresh new look. I've used the technique before, but only with silver or gold. Thanks for the beautiful sample projects and the tips for making it all easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. Thanks for the idea and the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Will have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maile! Love these! I gotta try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUPER IDEA MAILE!!!!!! :) AND THANK YOU for showing us the little "attacher!" LOOKS LIKE another tool to add to my WISH LIST!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a neat technique! LOVE all your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative idea! Thanks for sharing...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work w/this technique! I used to use my embossing pen but mostly on sentiments. I will have to try it on edges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool!! Such a creative technique, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic cards, of course, but also really appreciate your tips (the double embossing reminder, and tying a bow with the tiny attacher ... brilliant!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I'll definitely be giving that a try...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a super technique! I will be giving this a go. Thank you and beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a neat effect! More reasons to get some colored embossing powder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is cool. Love the way is shines. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I'll have to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did this some years ago and liked it, but then forgot it with other fun techniques coming out all the time. Thanks for the great reminder. Your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My name is Colleen - I'm not set up with the other ID's. I looked for the Bountiful Banners die set and it's out of stock. Will it be restocked?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool! I really like the effect on the layered chevrons!

    ReplyDelete
  22. awesome! love the technique with the embossed powder!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG that chevron card! Only you would think of that. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Simple and eye popping! I like this...makes me want to experiment too.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the look this technique creates, Maile. Thanks for the fun idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful cards Maile! I can't wait to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I used to emboss edges a lot, but haven't done it much lately & never just a single edge. Thanks for the inspiration, Maile! Love your cards, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea, Maile! Love the pop of color ~ anxious to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this touch - it makes for a great detail accent! Thanks for the inspiration, Rx

    ReplyDelete
  30. clever, clever, clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this is a great idea...... awesome technique u have come up with... thanks.... gonna try it today...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful cards, to highlight this brilliant technique - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS