Friday, July 6, 2012

Focal Point Impressions

Thanks for joining me today for this weeks Papertrey Ink Design Team Tip!

When creating a simple card, it's the subtle and well thought out details that make the difference; details that my go by unnoticed at first, but turn out to be unexpected surprises. Today, I want to share an effective way to make a big impression with your focal points. A simple impressed pattern layered over a stamped focal point stands out unlike no other. So grab your impression plates or embossing folders and join me for some (what I call) focal point impressions!...
This may be framilier to some of you, but for those of you who are unfamiliar with this technique... it is one you shouldn't go without for sure.  Here are a couple of examples to give you a better idea...
I pulled my Trendy Tree Tops stamp set out for this first card.  I began by trimming a white cardstock panel and stamping it with a tree branch in Smokey Shadow ink, a tree top in Simply Chartreuse, leaves in Ripe Avocado and a bird and sentiment in Melon Berry.
This simple stamped panel was then enhanced a bit by a little woodgrain impressing (using the Woodgrain impression plate) and then attached it to a Soft Stone card base.  Finished the card off with a bit of Melon Berry satin ribbon.
How about a comparison?!  The simple card (on the top) is quite pretty on its own.  The second card (on the bottom), with its focal point impression, is just as cute but features a bit more texture making it much more interesting.  What do you think?!
This next card features the new Lovely Layers.  Stamped three flowers in a color combo of spring Moss, Melon Berry and Berry Sorbet onto a Rustic White Mega Mat Stack #4 die cut. Stamped the sentiment in Smokey Shadow ink and then impressed the mat stack with the Wrought Iron impression plate.
Attached the mat stack to a Rustic White card base, using dimensional adhesive, and then finished the card off with a few Orange Zest buttons.
And... the comparison.  Again a simply gorgeous card all on its own, but the impression just adds so much.

So go ahead! Pull out your stamp stash, impression plates and embossing folders see what you come up with. Have fun!

Thanks for stopping by.
Maile



Hello You Card


Thanks Card

37 comments:

  1. Love these cards, and that embossing really makes them PoP! Thank you so much for sharing, I'm definitely going to be trying this soon!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow pretty lovely creations.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blospot.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards! I love the embossing on them. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cards, Maile! The tree on the emb woodgrain "spoke" to me! I've been using my woodgrain stamp and emb folder a lot lately. Earlier this week I used it as a background for a stamped/colored Bonsai tree. Looked cool. Anyway ... thanks for the great samples and ideas. You Rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree, Maile. The textured paper adds so much to a card's overall impact!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clean and Simple and GORGEOUS! Love both.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. both are so pretty, but the ones with texture are just stand out a bit more! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors. The impressions are nice too. Just all around cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the better idea! Both focal images are quite pretty without the impressions, but have the "wow" factor with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, what a difference texture makes! I love using PTI impression plates, but I haven't used them in this way. You can bet that I will be...soon!
    Thanks so much for sharing this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The impression plate really makes a difference. Very much so! I need to remember this technique next time I'm looking to spice up a "blah" card. Thanks, Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love what a little embossing will do for a card! Love the colors you used on these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you line them up side by side, I can really see the difference. And now I know what I'm practicing this weekend. What a great tutorial -- thanks Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific post Maile--such a powerful use of comparison! Fun cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The impressing really makes such a difference--thanks for posting the comparisons! I love this technique, and your cards are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous post, Maile! Both cards are so pretty and thank you for the comparisons - what a difference, the embossing really does enhance the overall appearance. MUst try this technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cards are lovey, and what a difference a little impression can make. Nice to view the side-by-side comparisons to really show the difference. As usual your cards are simple but so elegant, love your style and the colors you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. GORGEOUS Cards..LOVe it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. NICE! And I love the comparisons. Thanks so much for this neat tip!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is absolutely gorgeous!Hugs! Mojca

    ReplyDelete
  21. These all look fabulous tfs :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! What a great way to add extra interest to a card. I'll definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - I did a double take on that first comparison - such a difference! Will try this today for sure. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this! Your comparison photos really highlight the impact a little embossing can make. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely cards Maile! I love the design of the first one, with the pretty ribbon! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love these, Maille--you have such a fresh, fabulous sense of style!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, these are so inspiring! You have such a sense of style! Thanks for helping all of us to develop one too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the side-by-side comparisons. You're right--It does add so much and it makes me want to put out my embossing folders right out on my desk where I won't forget to use them (like I usually do). You're cards are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am wowed by your work as always. You and your cards are awesome! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow--love the difference made with the impression plates! I'll be giving this a try! Thanks for sharing this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Totally agree...the embossing makes a huge and pretty difference. Love your cards and designs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Adding the texture really makes a huge difference! Thanks for sharing the idea - I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  33. this is a wonderful idea! what a difference this makes!!!!! I'll be doing this asap. Thank You, Jan :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Agree the embossed impressions make a BIG difference and really "pop" the images. Perfect examples as always, Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are really nice. I would never had tought of that.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS