Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Boy Basics

My four year old son thinks he is the coolest little skater dude. He can't actually ride a skateboard yet, but he can do a couple simple tricks and he thinks it's awesome. So when Nichole assigned the Design Team the second Papertrey Ink Group Post, which was to create a project using any one of the new sets included in the Boy Basics stamp line-up, I knew just which one to choose... Boy Basics: Skater Dude! Of course! Earlier, when my Papertrey Ink package for this month arrived and I opened it, my little man insisted that I die cut and stamp him a few skateboards and guitars. Just like me, he truly enjoyed this months Papertrey Ink products as much as I did. Anyways, here is what I came up with using Boy Basics: Skater Dude... As many of you know, this weeks Make It Monday technique is masking. I found Lisa's card to be so inspiring and I love the technique of masking, that I new it would be perfect to combine this technique with Boy Basics: Skater Dude to create a totally cool single-layer card.One cool green and blue card for a Skater Dude!

And one cool hot pink and blue card for a Skater Chick!

Here's How: Since I needed to visually line up the three skate boards, I chose to create a mask from vellum cardstock. I simply cut a rectangle of vellum, die cut a skateboard from the center and ran some prepositional adhesive around the edge of the skateboard opening. Positioned the mask and sponged different colored inks onto either side, blending in the middle. Once happy with my sponging, I removed the mask, repositioned it below and started this process over.

Above is a look at the sponged skateboards. From this point, I then stamp the images from Boy Basics: Skater Dude directly over the sponging. The board logos in Enchanted Evening and the wheels and trucks (just confirm with my hubby, the part that the wheels attach to are trucks, he used to be a skater dude himself) in True Black.

The last added detail was a True Black cardstock strip attached to the base of the cards. Simply trimmed a 1/4" off the base of the card front and attached a 1/2" strip of True Black cardstock behind.


I'm pretty please with the way these simple single-layer cards turned out and so is my son. He was so stoked to wake up from his nap and see these cool cards sitting in the window, ready and waiting for their snapshots. Needless to say, he approved. I hope you all approve too!



Now be sure to check out the rest of the happenings for today. These Ladies have much more of the Boy Basics line-up to share with you today...




Thanks for stopping by, have a awesome one!


Maile


Totally Stoked:


13 comments:

  1. Don't know of any skateboarder who wouldn't be "stoked" when receiving a card like yours. Love the masking you did ~ opens up a whole new concept to blend colors like you did. Great job, Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fab card! Thanks for sharing this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yuh, my skaters will be stoked when they see these! Thanks! Pamela~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect and cool, Maile! These are indeed very suitable for masking, looks awesome! The colors are perfect and these images are just truly truly cool!!! Love the little black line of paper on the bottom, you always really have eye for detail like this, which really makes the cards perfect! I'm not a skater girl, but would also be very happy receiving the blue and red card, it's just about perfect!
    Wishing you a lovely day!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just right cards for the boys in our life! Most of the ones I know are No Muss No Fuss kinda guys. Great graphics, awesome colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally rad, Maille! awesome skateboards!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. totally amazing love your cards..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vellum masking tip is all kinds of awesome. Seriously. I can't wait to give it a shot. And the skateboards look totally rad, whatever the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that this creative and clean design is single layer - amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little 4 yr old...
    and my little 4 yr old must have met somewhere...
    he thinks he's a total skateboarding "dude" too!
    And no...
    he actually can't even stand on it yet:)
    Love these cards...
    love this set...
    fits both of my little guys so well!
    This month's release has just rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great, and without the skateboard stamp they would make nice word labels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great, graphic cards: and thanks for the velum masking tip!!! One new idea to add to the stamping techniques!!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS