Thursday, August 19, 2010

All Eyes On...My Must Haves

This month the girls of Wplus9 are focusing on our "Must Have" supplies. Those go-to tools, supplies or accessories that we constantly turn to or rely on to make just about every card. Here are some of the items you will find on my supply lists.

Stamps
I am a stamper at heart and I rarely make a card that doesn't include some kind of stamping. My faves are: Wplus9, Papertrey Ink, Hero Arts & Lawn Fawn.The Birds & The Bees from Wplus9.

Cardstock
I pretty much use only one brand...Papertrey Ink. I love the quality and the weight of this stuff. With a weight of 110 lbs, it makes the perfect sturdy card base. You will always find a large stash of the white and kraft in my cardstock supply, these two are my must-haves.

Buttons
My go-to embellishment are buttons. I love to use these little goodies to help balance out my cards and add a bit of fun texture and dimension.
Vintage Buttons from Papertrey Ink.

Baker's Twine
This is a new item on my "must have" list, but I really can't seem to ever put this stuff down. This stuff is perfects to dress up those button holes, to wrap around a card a few times or to create fun little embellishments with.
New Leaf Baker's Twine from Papertrey Ink.

Adhesives
I had gone through a ton of adhesives before finding my "must have" favorites. Which are...
Tombo Mono Dot Dispenser Permanent Adhesive. You can find it in two sizes (39" and 49") and I prefer the one with a little extra to last me a little longer. I buy mine at my local office supply store.
Scotch Foam Mounting Tape. Just cut little pieces off of the roll and attach. I pick mine up at Walmart or my local office supply store.
Glue Dots Mini (1/4") & Craft (1/2"). This adhesive is perfect for adhering just about anything but, I usually use it for my buttons. I pick mine up at craft supplie stores.

So there you have it, a few of my favorite thing!

I've also created a card to share with you today, using most of these "must have" I have listed. Also, Dana Nelson had graciously asked if I would participate in this months Aspiring To Creativity Glimmer Challenge #2. So today's card was based off of the challenge. The prize up for grabs is a Wplus9 gift certificate. Check out the details here.
The challenge is to find inspiration in the photo pictured above and to incorporate an unused supply into your projects. I recently took a trip to my local scrapbooking store and picked up a few fun pattern papers from the American Crafts Dear Lizzy Collection. So the new/unused supply I chose to work with is a green polka dot sheet of adhesive backed fabric paper called Firefly Festival. Here is what I came up with...Stamped a white card base with a butterfly trail & sentiment from The Birds & The Bees. Cut hills from the fabric sheet and attached to the bottom of the card.
Attached the bottom fabric layer directly to the card base and the second layer I attached with my foam tape of choice. Embellished with Hibiscus Burst & Pure Poppy buttons and wrapped with New Leaf baker's twine.
So far I've created a button twine flower, a bee and now an adorable butterfly. Isn't he cute?!
Here's a picture to give you an idea of how to assemble the wings. First thread your button and adhere a glue dot (I used a 1/2" glue dots). Cut twine in two different lengths, loop and attach over the glue dots to create wings on one side. Layer another glue dot and attached second set of wings. Use a third glue dot to attach the butterfly to your card.
Be sure to visit the rest of the Design Team's blog to hear what their "Must Haves" are...

That's it from me today. Hope you enjoyed!

Maile


You Make Days Brighter:

18 comments:

  1. First, I totally love this post!! Love all the must-haves. And that butterfly is so fabulously creative! The card is perfect as usually and I'm totally checking out that stamp set now. You are the best enabler ever! Hugs, Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable, Maile! I'm so thrilled that you participated in the challenge!! I can't stop grinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your must-haves! Love that card and your use of the baker's twine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you do it? You always come up with such wonderful ideas and designs - like your string butterfly. For that reason I check out your blog everyday. Thank you for participating in the challenge!! Dana and I are so thrilled that you did. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterfly made out of twine is so cool! I will have to look for the foam tape. I actually use the foam squares but this item seems better. That way you can cut it any size you want. Thanks girl for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Your card is really amazing! Great idea with the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! love your button and twine butterfly! too fun and so clever!! thanks for the how-to, too! love your simple card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic list, Maile! That butterfly is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GREAT idea for the twine! Love the butterfly/button combination. You come up with such great ideas. I'm so jealous of your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is perfectly adorable! Love that twine butterfly and the button accents. Thanks for sharing your must-haves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your must-haves, I enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your creativity! I adore the sweet butterfly. That baker's twine is going to be a hot item, thanks to your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute card and thanks for sharing your must haves. I also love the cardstock from Papertrey Ink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your twine butterfly is so amazing! You WOW me all of the time!

    Thanks for the shout out! Lawn Fawn loves you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. words cant say how much i adore that butterfly made from bakers twine. simply genius!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been following you, Maile, since I found Papertrey Ink a while back, and I love your simplicity. I love your creativity and the twine butterfly is ingenious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just such a lovely card! So cute!
    -Kristi
    @ Creative Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  18. All your card are just lovely, everyone.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS