Thursday, March 10, 2011

Introducing Modern Basics Day Two

Hello and welcome to the 2nd day of the Papertrey Ink countdown!

Today, I like to share with you more of the pattern ability of my new stamp set, Modern Basics. There has been some concern in the Papertrey Ink forum as to the difficulty of creating a hand stamped pattern with this set, and keeping things lined up and straight. So I hope today's samples and tutorial will put those concerns at ease and show you just how easy it truly is. I'll also be featuring a few peeks at the unique and fun sentiment combinations available in this set.

So, let me get started with a few samples using other new images included in Modern Basics... This bold background was stamped using two images, the rounded large square and rectangle, in Raspberry Fizz, Summer Sunrise & New Leaf. Here's a Tip: To aid in keeping images straight and as an added detail, I've stamped this pattern onto a Guidelines I Grid cardstock card base. This is not necessary but, it can be helpful.
This background was stamped using the pattern featured on the sample strip. Alternating the square and rectangle, matching up the corners and interchanging colors. Here's A Tip: Focus on join the corners together. This gives you a visual to aid in keeping images nicely lined up. Also, the majority of shapes included in this set are simple and can easily be seen through, to further help you when lining up and choosing your stamp placements.
Here's a Tip: Another useful trick is to attach multiple images to your acrylic block (please excuse my messy stamps and block) and stamp them all at once. With the two shapes attached, as above, I was able to ink both (in different colors) and stamp in once press.
Now for the fun part... I finished the card off with coordinating colored buttons and stamped "Friends" onto the card base. Then stamped, hand cut and attached the "Thanks" rectangle to complete the sentiment.
Next up, a fun border using the "love" rectangle, the solid rectangle and the polka dot square. All stamped in a color combo of True Black, Pure Poppy and Raspberry Fizz to keep with the love theme. Again, I used the Guidelines I Grid cardstock, I like the added detail it adds to this simple card. Here's How: I stamped the first row (following one of the lines of the paper) in the pattern of: rectangle-polka dot squares-polka dot square. From top to bottom. I then repeat the pattern to complete the second row.
Finished the card off with "YOU", from All About You, in True Black and added a few black rhinestones.
Here's the final pattern for today using the "Thanks" rectangle, solid rectangle and the two leaf trio images. I stamped this fun pattern into the bottom corner of a white card base and in a color combo of Spring Moss, Berry Sorbet and Summer Sunrise.
No worries thought, this pattern is really much simpler than it looks!
Here's How: I like to start by stamping the sentiment rectangle first, this ensures a proper placement and give me a good starting point. I then take the two leaf trio stamps and place them on either side of the rectangle corners (backsides up).
Again, please excuse my messy stamps and block. :) I then pick the stamps up with an acrylic block and they are ready to go. Here's a Tip: At this point, before you stamp, you have the option to ink both in one color or ink both in different colors.
For this sample, I inked both leaf trios in New Leaf and then stamped into place.
Inked both up again and stamped just above and next to the previously stamped leaf trios.
With in the leaves it was easy to stamp another Raspberry Fizz rectangle into place.
Once done with the first row it was easy to re-stamp a second row, in the same fashion, directly below the first. I continued to stamp and finish that row. And continued this process until the corner was complete. See, not so bad. Right?!
This same pattern works perfectly for cards in the other direction as well.

Well, that's all that I have for you today. I hope you enjoyed! Again, I'd love to know what you think. Any question, just ask!
Don't forget to check out the rest of the happenings for today. These ladies have much more to share with you too...

Thanks for dropping by today, have a super one!

Maile


Thanks Friend:


Love You:

Thanks Friend:

48 comments:

  1. Maile Belles, Love your style! I have awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award on my blog on 3-11 . Please check it out. I am always inspired by your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...how fun. I'm loving this set. Thank you for doing the step by step to help us see how you get your patterns so perfect. Great job on your first stamp set. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are beautiful! I am amazed at the different looks you can achieve just by changing colors and patterns. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love!!! i can't wait friend!! these cards are the usual-stunning!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this stamp set! I especially adore the raspberry fizz and new leaf 'hello' card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This set looks so incredibly FUN! I knew you wouldn't let me down and can not wait to put this set into my cart. I love graphic designs and can't wait to play. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your designs are absolutely fantastic - this is a must have set for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did an excellent job of showcasing your very first stamp set. Who besides you would have thought of so many different ways to use this? It's amazing the variety of effects created just by changing the colors or the angle you stamped. Looking forward to what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favourite set from this release. Your samples are fantastic, very inspiring, so hip. Love them!


    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. This, your first set for PTI, is so unique and puts such a clean, modern spin on stamping! All of these cards are fantastic! I so appreciate the tutorial and tip re the grid paper (of which I have some.) I can't wait to see what you create with this set next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! This set is so so versatile! Lovely lovely cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your cards are stunning!! I wouldn't hesitate at all to purchase this set.....the combinations would be so fun to do...and all those yummy colors...wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great set! Your tutorial makes it look super easy and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Easy peasy. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cards are beautiful. I can not wait for this set. Its gonna be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this set is going to be so much fun to work with!! Love your cards, Maile. They are always so simply beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tutorial - takes some of the mystery out of the design process. The creations are so bold and crisp - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW Maile, these are AMAZING!!! I'm loving the graphic vibe to your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this is such an awesome set! Your cards are magnificent- I love the beautiful colors and clean, graphic look. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Maile, I am so glad that you decided to try designing stamps, because the versatility of this stamp set is amazing...and I must own it! Do i need to say that I love your creations, because I DO.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for breaking down how you build the patterns. LOVE that polka dot square!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my how easy is that! Such a wonderful focal point and the color combo's - endless! How fun is that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seeing all the different looks just by changing up the color is fantastic! You see all the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, this is great. I love the last few patterns. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are just amazing! I love your new stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such beautiful cards! I love how you showed the steps. I need to try more background stamping and I love the idea of the gridlines cardstock. I have to order some! Thanks for making such a simply stunning set! I can't wait to see the full release! :) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just beautiful. Thanks for the tips on lining everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very inspiring!! Thanks for showing the steps as to how you stamped these images! So beautiful-each one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Maile, you make it look so easy! I'm loving that stamp set... maybe have to get my hands on it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowsers these are all so cool! I've totally fallen for Modern Basics - congrats on your stamp design debut, Maile. It's a winner!
    Hugs, Ruth S

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love,Love,Love these stamps! I can't wait to see the whole set and I'm so happy and excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Maile -

    I really love this set. It is so versatile. I really like the look of your cards on today's post.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, Maile, this is just amazing!! I love, love, love, love this set!!! It's soooo gorgeous! Love what you can make with it, full patterns, partly patterns and because of the small and single shapes sooo many possibilities with colors! Fabulous!!! Would you be so kind to design more sets in the future??!!! ;-)
    Hugs, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I fall more and more in love with this set each time I see a new project. This is just so adorable! Love the one layer cards,too. I rarely make those because it never feels like "enough" if that makes sense, but these are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Maile, your "thanks friend" card is simply amazing! I love it all...the colors, the pattern, the details....SO SO SO SO beautiful! Your set is a must have for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, Maille!! I can't thank you enough for clearing up my fears. You did a fabulous job of demonstrating things that I thought were complicated. Your work is stunning, stunning, stunning! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This set is just amazing, Maile! You hit it out of the ballpark with your very first set and it's my favourite out of all the release peeks so far!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a great set, Maile! Congratulations!! I can't imagine what it must feel like to have a stamp set published! Your projects are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great set Maile, so very versatile and Fun! Can't wait to see whole set and what all you'll do with it the rest of the peeks.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You are a genius stamp designer!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Still lovin' your work. You're going far!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So many fun and creative ideas! I especially love the Thanks Friend card. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a sweet and vibrant mix of colors on all of these creations! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am loving your new set! I love all the samples you've shown and am especially excited to get this set after seeing your tutorials...so many possibilities. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. wowza girlie! u are a pro, u shud be senior DT by now, lol. Amazing cards, luv luv the versatility of yer stamp set, can't wait to buy it!

    Hugs,
    C :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Eh, these are all right. Nothing special. (Hee. Was that better? You know I love everything you're doing with this set though. That Thanks Friend card is awesome - one-layer, perfect mod colors.)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS