Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Year of Flower: Marigold

Hello, and welcome to day 3 of the Papertrey Ink countdown! Today I am super excited to share Year of Flowers: Marigolds with you. The next in the Year of Flowers series, featuring the beautiful marigold... When I first saw these images, this was the first idea to pop into my head. These gorgeously detailed petals were asking for a pop of dimension. I kept the card super simple to really let the flower be the star of the show.
Here's how: I stamped the marigold onto white cardstock. Masked off the flower and stamped the leaves. Using a kraft knife I carefully cut around a few select petals and gently lifted each up. Stamped the sentiment, attach the flower to a Melon Berry card base (making sure not to apply adhesive to the backside of the cut petals) and wrapped with Harvest Gold satin ribbon.
I had to pull out the Copic markers for this set! To give this single layer card a bit more interest, I first started by stamping a Rustic Cream card base with Background Basics: Text Style. For a lighter impression, I inked up the background stamp with Dark Chocolate ink, stamped it off onto scrap cardstock and then onto the entire front of the card base.
Stamped one of the frames from Framed and a sentiment from Fillable Frames #9, in Dark Chocolate, into the center and masked off the outer edge with large Post It Notes. Then stamped both the large and small marigold images into the corners of the frame, also in Dark Chocolate. Colored the flowers with the Orange Zest Copic trio and finished it off with a few Orange Zest buttons and Chocolate baker's twine. I love how these colored images seem to just pop off of this simple single layer card!
Dawn McVey's latest Doily Card Templates make the perfect compliment to these gorgeous marigolds. I love how the scallops mimic the petals of the flowers. Used the large marigold flower and stamped it multiple times to create my own hand stamped pattern paper. Love the way this turned out!
Trimmed 1 1/8" from the card front to accommodate the Melon Berry cardstock strip and the doily edge. For this card I ended up using only the scallops from the template. Here's How: To attach the doily edge, I printed the Doily Card Template out onto white cardstock. Trimmed only the card front with the scalloped edge. It ended up being slightly wider than the width of my card, so I simply attached it and trimmed off the excess. Finished the card off with a sentiment from On Ice and a few perfectly place rhinestones.
And finally, this layout was based off of this card. I had a few questions as to how the flowers were stamped in a way that both the flower on the Mat Stack and the card base lined up and matched perfectly. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to show you how...
For this technique I used a Stamp-a-ma-jig stamp positioning tool. To start, I stamped the marigold, in the desired position, onto a white Mat Stack #1 die cut.
In case your wondering, here is how the Stamp-n-ma-jig works. I nestled the clear sheet (which comes with the positioning tool) into the corner of the Stamp-n-ma-jig. Then nestled the acrylic block, with the marigold stamp attached, and stamped onto the clear sheet.
Placed the Mat Stack into the desired position on the card front (with out adhesive) and then aligned the Stamp-a-ma-jig directly over the flower on the Mat Stack. If you click on this photo you can see how both of the flower images are lined up. This then give you the exact position you need to stamp the flower onto the card base.
Carefully removed both the Mat Stack and the clear sheet (being sure not to move the card base). Then nestled the stamp into the Stamp-a-ma-jig and stamp down onto the Kraft card base.
I then ended up with a perfectly place marigold.
Which then lined up perfectly with the image on the Mat Stack die, in the exact position I wanted it in.
Stamped a couple more marigold and leaf image across the front of the Kraft card base. Finished it off with a couple strips of Harvest Gold twill ribbon, True Black buttons and button twine.

I love the versatility of these gorgeous images! You too can get your hand on this set October 15th!

That's it from me today. But, for even more Papertrey Ink Countdown goodness stop by and see what these talented ladies have in store for you today...

Thanks for joining me today! I hope you have enjoyed and found these ideas helpful.

Have a wonderful one!

Maile

Celebrate This Day:

Just For You:

Thank You Sweet Friend:

Tomorrow is a New Day:

22 comments:

  1. Love the use of one stamp in so many different ways. Thanks for the inspiration Maile. I learnt so much today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...all the cards are sooo beautiful... :)I love how u use them so differently... !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stunning examples with this big flower...lovely colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your marigold card and the idea of stamping with the stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the flower, great idea, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always manage to create the most beautiful cards with the year of the flower stamps. The marigold is no exception wonderful job. Also thanks for sharing the stamp ma jig technique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I don't know which one is my favorite. They are all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cards are very pretty! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made such a beautiful card with this flowers.
    Perfect!

    xx Anita

    ReplyDelete
  9. BEAUTIFUL CARDS. I never thought of using a stamp-a-ma-jig with clear stamps but this idea is great. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the simplicity of the stamp...elegant flower and like the tutorial that you posted on the over-lapped double stamp method

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see what you've done with this set. Love love love the first card in particular! Thanks! Pamela~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic post! Such a pretty, elegant set of cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful projects, Maile! Thanks for the tutorial! It seems a little more obvious now... ;) I'm breaking out the Stamp-a-ma-jig tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  14. STUNNING! Every single one of them! The Copic colored one with the text background is my absolute favorite! It just jumped out at me.....in a good way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful examples of understated elegance! Your first card with the marigold enhanced with dimension is soooo lovely. Thank you also for the tips and placement of images with the Stamp a Ma Jig. Beautiful projects! Love you clean and simple style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh mylanta!!! I was thinking that I might not need this set but you mighta hooked me. Your projects are over the top beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I knew you would do something absolutely stunning with the marigold and you did! Beautiful cards...really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these are just beautiful! absolutely love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my.....these are insanely good. Love every one of them! YOU have sold me on this set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful simple cards as always. thanks for the tips, too!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS