Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sentiment Treatment

Thanks for joining me today for this weeks Papertrey Ink Design Team Tip!

Sentiments can be handled a number of different ways....stamped, embossed, written by hand.  These are just a few of the basics treatments.  In today's tip I've put sentiments to the test!  My treatment towards them these days have been pretty rough.  I love a good sentiment strip or two, but I love it even more when I can add a sentiment strip to a simple card in an unexpected way.
I take a good look at the phrases included in a stamp set.  Any with fun flourishs, swashes, shapes, extended ascenders or descenders, multiple lines of text and such get me thinking. These type are perfect for the butcher block!  Or the blade of my paper cutter for that matter, to chop them in two.
Here's a fun round sentiment with a deep descender featured in the capital F of "Feel".  After stamping the floral images over the sentiment, I hacked that baby into two strips and attached the two pieces leaving a slight gap.  It adds just a touch of the unexpected. 
I could have left things alone and kept the stamped panel in one piece, but it just wouldn't have made much of an impact to the design. Both the sentiment and floral images are from the Cuppa Love stamp set.
Large and bold sentiments are great for this technique too!  Usually they are big enough to not be effected by the slicing and are still legible. 
A touch of color using a few Copic markers, inspired by Laura's card.
Here's a second take on the card above.
These large sentiments are very versatile!  This one is from the Big Hugs stamp set.

For more sentiment treatment ideas check out these blog posts... first and second cards here and last card here

So what do you think?!  Might you take a second look at your sentiments?   I sure do hope so!  Well, that's it from me today.  

Thanks for stopping by.

Maile

38 comments:

  1. What a fun way to add interest to the front of your cards with sentiments! Love this new take!! Thanks for the inspiration. Your cards are always fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative and quite fun, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW , inspirational , interesting and enticing me to try .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun technique, can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. You've inspired me to give it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a simply fabulous idea Maile Belles! I think I will be giving this a try!! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I'm inspired your card to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just fantastic!!! I'm already wondering if I have any stamps that will work? Or, I could just start shopping while I'm here...=/
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip. Now I need to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sentiment placement is the thing I have the most problems with, so these tips were tailor made for me. What a way to make a sentiment shine. So Maile, so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous hugs card - I like the letter coloring also

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the message in the cut section of the bold greeting. A must try idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the sentiments are one of the most important parts of the card design and I often struggle with them. To my mind, they really finish the card off. I really love how innovative you are with your sentiments and always learn a lot from your treatment of them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea!! This are must try... Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE, LOVE. LOVE this idea. The Hugs sentiment is so pretty in black.

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO beautiful! Taking a look (immediately!) at my sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So clever. Yes siree, I'll be looking at my sentiments in a whole new way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your use of a sentiment inside of another sentiment. I will be looking at my own sentiments in a whole new way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How ruthless you sound, Maile - but with stunning results ;oP

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to try this one for my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fab cards, love the end result of the "chopping action"! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have been noticing this simple but powerful way to make a statement on several of your cards lately, Maile. I love your style but it's not easy to replicate. Definitely going to check out my sentiments in a whole new way as I don't have either of the two sets you used here…yet. : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun and simple technique (that I never would have thought of!! LOL!!) All three are beautifully done - thanks for this great tip Maile!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Man I'm lovin' your hacking style - not 50/50 but more like 30/70. It does create "look at me" style! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another lesson well received! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! The second one with the sentiment in between is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fabulous way to make your sentiment take center stage! ISO hoping I have some that will work so I can try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing ideas - love what you created with the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous cards. Got to dig out a large alphabet set from storage to recreate this bold look. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love these card. They are marvelous. Thank you for sharing these great ideas.
    Moving out cleaners Paddington

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS