Friday, April 18, 2014

Divided Panels

Thanks for joining me today for this weeks Papertrey Ink Design Team Tip!

Today I've got a unique and easy way to transform your projects!  I like to call it… divided panels.   This technique involves slicing right through your hand stamped focal points, but don’t worry!  These steps make it possible to incorporate a pop of color and/or a sentiment in a cool and eye catching way that won't ruin your beautiful stamping job.

Check it out...
I've got a simple duo to share with you today using this technique in a two different ways...
First up, the easiest version.  All you need is cardstock, stamps, ink and a paper trimmer. 
It all begins by stamping a focal point of your choice.  I chose to work with the floral images from the Bold Bouquet Anniversary stamp set. Once done simply cut the stamped panel into two pieces.
Then attached both portions to a card base (preferably one folded from colored cardstock, it will stand out a bit more this way) leaving enough room for a sentiment. I chose to work with dimensional adhesive here.  Once adhered into place simply trim off the excess.
Here the sentiment is stamped onto soft stone cardstock and nestled neatly between the two panels.  Another option would be to select a bolder color for your card base and then stamp your sentiment onto either the top or bottom panel.
This look is a bit more involved, it requires the use of the Tipped Tops die collection.
First up, stamp your focal point.  Here I chose to work with Feather Finery. Temporarily attached the die into place (I'm working with the largest one in the die collection) and cut.
Chose a card base folded from a color that coordinates and attach both divided panels into place leaving a slight gap.  Carefully trim off the excess by hand.
Then finish the card off with a sentiment.  After all that trimming might as well chop up your sentiments too.  :)

So what do you think?!  This is definitely an unexpected touch that's sure to be noticed. Well, that's it from me today.  I hope you too will give your projects this very treatment.  Have fun!

Thanks for stopping by.

Maile




Why, Hello There. Card
Stamps: Bold Bouquet
Ink: PTI (soft stone) Hero Arts (Soft Cantaloupe, Pale Tomato and Wet Cement
Cardstock: Soft Stone and White
Other: White Enamel Dots

Feather Friends Forever Card
Stamps: Feather Finery
Ink: PTI (True Black and Aqua Mist) Hero Arts (Tide Pool & Cornflower)
Cardstock: Aqua Mist and White
Others: White Enamel Dots

55 comments:

  1. TFS the techniques.. That feather card is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Maile, these are BEAUTIFUL! Such a simple, but effective technique; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these tips, Maile. Noticed a card during the release with the tipped top dies and hoped you might explain the process.Thanks, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. STUNNING cards..already loved it the first card you made this way..Thank so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the panel idea. Wonderful cards. Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic cards and thanks for the technique. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful and unique idea. Beautiful cards - thanks for sharing this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sophisticated looking. Another technique to add to my tool box. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very effective look yet not a difficult technique. It's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always so much fun to see something new; the fact you made the technique attainable makes it even more fun. I plan to wow my friends with this idea and my own examples. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cards! The divided panels really adds such an amazing look to the card. I'm going to give this a try! Thanks for sharing..AJ@queenofmynest

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this Maile!!! Can't wait to give this technique a try!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new twist that looks great. This will definitely be something I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful effect, it's it lovely to see the touch of colour peeping through the division :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, these look terrific! A simple technique that looks more "complex!" Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this, Maile! Your sense of designs is so fresh and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great look and creative design idea Maile! I'll be trying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, Maile. Thanks for the photo tutorial. Love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love them both, great idea, thanks for sharing your designing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea. Anything with feathers works for me��

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome...you are so creative! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your work and appreciate this tutorial so much! Beautiful designs, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Maile, for sharing your unusual design. It is really a lovely technique.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saw you use this earlier and my jaw dropped. After I wiped off the spittle, I realized what you'd done. Can I just say, "GENIUS"? It adds so much to the card. But you knew that, didn't you. BTW, love the pix of those adorable kiddos of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful cards and a fabulous technique! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this idea! The feather card is really gorgeous! I'll be trying this technique soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. VERY clever idea! Great look! ...and I love the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your cards/techniques are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing this technique. I love the color combination of the feathers. Beautiful cards. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful technique! It easily adds a different look! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. When I saw it on the count down I wanted to try it, but it looked complicated easy peasy now!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful technique ~ thank you, Maile. Your cards are always amazing and totally gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. love this! Must try!! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice cards, Maile! I was so "drawn" to the feather card that I forgot the tutorial was on divided panels and that it had them. Hee. Great way to cut the card front to get panels other than basic shapes. Like the way that looks. Thanks for sharing the technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. So fun and Beautiful! A simple technique that adds do much interest to a design. Thank you Maile for taking the time to post this for us! We know you are a busy, busy new mom!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely GORGEOUS! I love this technique! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. fab tips- will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I predict this trend to be all over stamping blogland! Fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. TFS Maile. I LOVE your cards and technique. I just uploaded my sample to my SCS gallery: nancy littrell. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2511370?&cat=500&ppuser=18672

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful!! I can't wait to try it! : ) Thanks a bunch!!



    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  41. These are BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE them, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love this idea. Great tutorial. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just ordered the tipped top die from PTI and can't wait to try it! I'm hoping to design a Christmas card with it.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY: SHERBET BLOSSOM DESIGNS